The Los Alamos ScienceFest is produced by Los Alamos MainStreet in partnership with many community organizations such as Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos Creative District and Los Alamos County just to name a few. More than 200 volunteers and a core team of community leaders in science, history, marketing, education and the arts, along with a panel of advisors, organize the Festival.
Los Alamos ScienceFest features a interactive demonstrations, a drone agility course, hands-on activities and dynamic speakers to engage kids, families, and individuals interested in life-long learning in science, technology, engineering, art and math. The Festival partners present events July 15 – 19 culminating Saturday, July 18th at Ashley Pond.
What is unique about ScienceFest is that it is held in a town of where science happens all the time. Los Alamos is place of world changing ideas and world changing science. The Los Alamos ScienceFest serves as a rallying point for the community of Los Alamos. Our town has earned a reputation as a hot bed of activity in science, biotech, engineering and medicine. Los Alamos ScienceFest provides an opportunity for all of the community to take pride in that reputation and to inspire the next generation to carry it forward.
July 15 – 19
- Highlights of Festival Day include special tours of historic buildings not usually open to the public.
- The release of a LANL developed 3-D app that shows what the town originally looked like and area surrounding Ashley Pond, where the Festival Day takes place.
- Release of GLIF App, designed by LANL scientists, which is a cross between geocaching and gaming.
- Chance to win a Go-Pro camera or a drone.
- Hike of historic points around the townsite mesa and surrounding canyons.
- New this year is a drone competition. Drone Zone. Masters course where experienced pilots negotiate an agility course with their own drones. The competitor with highest score will wine a nice drone. Beginners can try out mini drones that will be on hand and have a chance to win one. There will be custom drones on display with drone information available and drone demonstrations.
- Play at Little Theater: Sunrise at Otowi Station.
- Science of Beer Making at the Beer Garden.
- Live music, food nerd contest, spy activities and all kinds of science demonstrations and hands on activities
History of Los Alamos ScienceFest
In 2009, The Next Big Idea Festival was started as a two-day signature event in Los Alamos, New Mexico to celebrate our town’s unique creative heritage and promote STEM to the community and raise awareness for kids to contemplate future careers. Currently, partnerships with Los Alamos National Laboratory and other organizations have expanded the event. Naturally, the name has had to change to the Los Alamos ScienceFest to encourage greater participation from our region and State.